What better way to brighten up 2021 than with a great gardening competition? Cliftonville in Bloom causes a buzz every year and aims to increase civic pride in the Cliftonville West community.
This fun, friendly and free competition is open to all ages, all gardening abilities, businesses as well as residents. So no matter if you’re new to planting, or you know your petunias from their peonies, we want you to join in and give it a grow. Together we can help make the local environment brighter, greener and cleaner for everyone to live, work and play.
How to Enter
Simply complete the online registration below by Tuesday 6th July.
Or collect a competition flyer from the Little Library at the Gordon Road Community Garden, fill-in your details, and follow the postal instructions provided.
Best Front Garden – The goal for this category is to find the display with the most impact – size is not a factor. The entry is for households only, the garden must be clearly visible from the roadside and the majority of plants must be planted in the ground.
Best Container Display – The winner of this category will have a display with the best use of planters, hanging baskets or window boxes. This is the most appropriate category for those who have limited space and not much ground to plant in.
Best Creative Display – Are you creative? Perhaps you want to build a sculpture and fill it with flowers. Have you got a dilapidated chest of drawers, a wheelbarrow, or even an old kitchen sink? Well why not give your DIY planter some TLC, maybe paint it, or cover it in mosaic tiles, fill it with soil, and get something planted!
Best Commercial Display – The goal for this category is to find a local pub, hotel, restaurant, shop, business or organisation that is creating a great first impression with a beautiful display outside their premises.
Best Community Garden – This category is for a community garden that is looked after by residents, it can be a large area, a small area, or simply some flower beds, as long as it’s cared for by local people, we would love for it to be entered in the competition.
Best Street – The winner of this category will be judged on ALL entries from the above categories. As the saying goes “you’ve got to be in it to win it”! The more people who sign up to individual categories the better chance your street will have of winning.
Our judging panel will score entrants on:
- Overall Design – colour, appropriate plants for situation, quality of plants, upkeep, and ‘WOW’ factor.
- Wildlife – wildlife-friendly plants and features e.g. bird/insect boxes.
- Recycling – compost bins, imaginative/practical use and re-use of materials.
- Sustainability – water conservation/retention, use of permanent planting.
Gold, silver and bronze framed certificates will be awarded to the winners of each category!
Dates for Your Diary
- Judging: Thursday 8th July
- Prize-Giving: Sunday 11th July
Terms and Conditions
- All entries must fall within the ward of Cliftonville West (see map).
- All entrants must complete the official online entry form.
- Only one entry per household / business / organisation will be accepted.
- Entries which consist mainly of artificial plants will be rejected.
- Entrants gardens and floral displays will be photographed and used to promote the Cliftonville in Bloom event.
- Individuals will be invited to appear in photographs on prize-giving day and this is a requirement for competition entry.
- The judges reserve the right to change a entrants category should they feel the garden is better suited to another category (i.e. best garden to best container display).
- No correspondence will be entered into, and the judges’ decision will be final.
Do you want to help make Cliftonville in Bloom bigger and better for 2021?
By donating a small amount, it will help GRASS to grow the Cliftonville in Bloom event and secure its future for the benefit of all residents.
To donate, please click the PayPal secure donation button below, all donations are welcome.