The Cliftonville in Bloom gardening competition aims to increase civic pride within the Cliftonville community. Through this initiative we want to encourage residents and businesses to get involved, and make Cliftonville a brighter, cleaner, and greener place in which to live, work and play.
Cliftonville in Bloom brings local people together to help improve their environment and create spaces that are a source of pride for people of all ages. This is achieved by encouraging gardening and horticultural activities in private and public spaces that complement the character of our town and bring colour to our everyday surroundings.
Entry to the competition is free with categories for both experienced and novice gardeners.
Judging of entries by our panel of local experts will take place during July, with prize giving at a special venue somewhere in Cliftonville.
This event is very popular so you may even be in the local newspaper if you’re a competition winner!
COMPETITION CATEGORIES (TO BE CONFIRMED)
Best Front Garden
The goal for this category is to find the display with the most impact – size is not a factor. The entry is for households only, the garden must be clearly visible from the roadside and the majority of plants must be planted in the ground.
Best Container Display (planters, hanging baskets or window boxes)
The winner of this category will have a display with the best use of planters, hanging baskets or window boxes. This is the best category for those who have limited space and not much ground to plant in.
Best Creative Display
Are you creative artistic? Perhaps you want to build a sculpture and fill it with flowers. Have you got a dilapidated chest of drawers, a wheelbarrow, or even an old toilet? Well why not give your DIY planter some TLC, maybe paint it, or cover it in mosaic tiles, fill it with soil, and get something planted!
Best Commercial Display
The goal for this category is to find a local pub, hotel, restaurant, shop, business or organisation that is creating a great first impression with the quality of display outside their premises.
Best Community Garden
This category is for a community garden that is looked after by local residents, it can be a large area, a small area, or simply some raised beds, as long as it’s looked after and cared for we would love for it to be entered in the competition.
The winner of this category will be judged on ALL entries from the above categories. As the saying goes “you’ve got to be in it to win it”! The more people who sign up to individual categories the better chance your street will have of winning.
Our judging panel will score entrants on:
- Overall design (colour, appropriate plants for situation, quality of plants, upkeep and wow factor).
- Wildlife (wildlife-friendly plants and features e.g. bird/insect boxes)
- Recycling (compost bins, imaginative/practical use and re-use of materials)
- Sustainability (water conservation/retention, use of permanent planting)
Gold, silver and bronze awards will be given to winners!
DATES FOR YOUR DIARY
- Cliftonville Launch Event – TBC
- Cliftonville in Bloom Judging Day – TBC
- Cliftonville in Bloom Prize Giving Day – TBC
HOW TO ENTER
To participate in the competition, please complete the registration form below.
This form is disabled.
TERM AND CONDITIONS
- All entries must fall within the ward of Cliftonville West (see map).
- All entrants must complete the official online entry form.
- Only one entry per household / business / organisation will be accepted.
- Entries which consist mainly of artificial plants will be rejected.
- Entrants gardens and floral displays will be photographed and used to promote the Cliftonville in Bloom event.
- Individuals will be invited to appear in photographs on prize-giving day and this is a requirement for competition entry.
- The judges reserve the right to change a entrants category should they feel the garden is better suited to another category (i.e. best garden to best container display).
- No correspondence will be entered into, and the judges’ decision will be final.
Do you want to help make Cliftonville in Bloom bigger and better for 2021?
By donating a small amount, it will help GRASS to grow the Cliftonville in Bloom event and secure its future for the benefit of all residents.
To donate, please click the PayPal secure donation button below, all donations are welcome.