The Cliftonville in Bloom garden competition aims to encourage residents to use their gardening skills to help the environment and improve the appearance of our area. Entry is free with categories for both experienced and novice gardeners.
The Cliftonville in Bloom launch event will take place on Sunday 28th April 2019.
If you come along to the launch event, you can sign up to take part, get some advice at our gardening workshop, buy some tickets for a chance to win some great tombola prizes, and, best of all, grab some FREE plants to get your garden started!
Judging of entries by our esteemed panel will take place on of Thursday 4th July 2019, with prize giving being held on Sunday 7th July 2019, at a special venue somewhere in Cliftonville.
This event is very popular so you may even get your picture in the local paper if you’re a competition winner!
Best Front Garden
The goal for this category is to find the display with the most impact – size is not a factor. The entry is for households only, the garden must be clearly visible from the roadside and the majority of plants must be planted in the ground.
Best Container Display (planters, hanging baskets or window boxes)
The winner of this category will have a display with the best use of planters, hanging baskets or window boxes. This is the best category for those who have limited space and not much ground to plant in.
Best Novelty Display
Are you super creative? Perhaps you want to build a sculpture and fill it with flowers. Have you got a dilapidated chest of drawers, a wheelbarrow, or even an old toilet? Well why not give your DIY planter some TLC, maybe paint it, or cover it in mosaic tiles, fill it with soil, and get something planted!
Best commercial or retail display
The goal for this category is to find a local pub, hotel, restaurant, shop, business or organisation that is creating a great first impression with the quality of display outside their premises.
Best community Garden
This category is for a community garden that is looked after by local residents, it can be a large area, a small area, or simply some raised beds, as long as it’s looked after and cared for we would love for it to be entered in the competition.
The winner of this category will be judged on ALL entries from the above categories. As the saying goes “you’ve got to be in it to win it”! The more people who sign up to individual categories the better chance your street will have of winning.
We are also looking for ‘street champions’ this year, residents who will encourage their neighbours to take part and help make Cliftonville bloom, if you would like to take on this role for your street please get in touch – email@example.com.
Our judging panel will score entrants on:
- Overall design (colour, appropriate plants for situation, quality of plants, upkeep and wow factor).
- Wildlife (wildlife-friendly plants and features e.g. bird/insect boxes)
- Recycling (compost bins, imaginative/practical use and re-use of materials)
- Sustainability (water conservation/retention, use of permanent planting)
Gold, silver and bronze awards will be given with cash prizes for the some categories (to be confirmed).
A variety of prizes donated by local businesses will also be awarded for additional categories. Keep your eyes on our social media for information!
HOW TO ENTER
To participate in the competition, please complete the registration form on this page.
RULES OF ENTRY
- All entries must fall within the wards of Cliftonville East and West.
- All entrants must complete the official entry form.
- Only one entry per household / business / organisation will be accepted.
- Entries which consist mainly of artificial plants will be rejected.
- Entrants gardens and floral displays will be photographed and used to promote the Cliftonville in Bloom event.
- Individuals will be invited to appear in photographs on prize-giving day and this is a requirement for competition entry.
- The judges reserve the right to change a entrants category should they feel the garden is better suited to another category (i.e. best garden to best container display).
- No correspondence will be entered into, and the judges’ decision will be final.
Do you want to help make Cliftonville in Bloom bigger and better for 2018?
By donating a small amount, it will help GRASS to grow the Cliftonville in Bloom event and secure its future for the benefit of all residents.
To donate, please click the PayPal secure donation button below, all donations are welcome.